By John R. Hall,Philip D. Schuyler,Sylvaine Trinh
* the apocalypse at Jonestown
* the department Davidians at Waco
* the violent direction of Aum Shinrikyo
* the paranormal apocalypse of the sunlight Temple
* the mass suicide of Heaven's Gate.
Through comparative case experiences and in-depth research, the authors exhibit how non secular violence can erupt now not easily from the ideals of the cult fans or the personalities in their leaders, but additionally from the way society responds to the cults in its midst.
Read Online or Download Apocalypse Observed: Religious Movements and Violence in North America, Europe and Japan PDF
Similar religious studies books
Such a lot modern bills of the position of expertise in global tradition are alarmist and, every now and then, condemn many makes use of of expertise with no a lot attempt to get past the outside of this world wide phenomenon. Technological recommendations that may rightly be critiqued are taken as consultant of the whole box of know-how.
Within the first version of The Mormon Mirage, Latayne C. Scott shared her notable trip out of Mormonism as she exposed surprising inaccuracies, inconsistencies, and contradictions within the religion she had enjoyed and lived. Thirty years later, Mormonism and Mormon scholarship have developed with the days.
Within the pre-industrial societies of early glossy Europe, faith used to be a vessel of primary significance in making feel of non-public and collective social, cultural and religious workouts. advancements from this period had quick impression on those societies, a lot of which resonates to the current day.
This assortment examines the effect of East Asian faith and tradition at the public sphere, outlined as an idealized discursive enviornment that mediates the professional and personal spheres. Contending that the actors and brokers at the fringes of society have been instrumental in shaping the general public sphere in conventional and smooth East Asia, it considers how those outliers give a contribution to non secular, highbrow, and cultural conversation within the public sphere.
- Secular Beats Spiritual: The Westernization of the Easternization of the West
- From Death to Rebirth: Ritual and Conversion in Antiquity
- Religion and Globalization (Published in association with Theory, Culture & Society)
- Made in the Margins: Latina/o Constructions of US Religious History (New Perspectives on Latina/o Religion)
- Religion: Empirical Studies
Additional resources for Apocalypse Observed: Religious Movements and Violence in North America, Europe and Japan
Apocalypse Observed: Religious Movements and Violence in North America, Europe and Japan by John R. Hall,Philip D. Schuyler,Sylvaine Trinh